Studying Time: 6 minutes
Paddle board vs. kayak is a debate raging all around the web. Boards and feedback sections are stuffed with anglers discussing the professionals and cons of every vessel. Everybody agrees that each present a extra lively, ecological solution to fish. Past that, it’s tough to seek out center floor between workforce kayak and paddle board.
Is all of it simply private choice? Does it rely on the place you’re fishing? Perhaps it’s extra a case of how you’re fishing. On this brief information, you may be taught what benefits kayaks and paddle boards provide, and discover out which one is greatest for you.
The Fundamentals: What’s a Fishing Kayak and What’s an SUP Board?
Each kayaks and rise up paddle boards (SUPs for brief) have been round for a very long time. Folks have used them for leisure and for transport, but it surely’s solely lately that they’ve caught on with anglers. Nowadays, you could find ‘yaks and boards designed particularly with fishing in thoughts.
What’s a Fishing SUP Board?
SUP boards have been tailored for something from racing to yoga. Every fashion affords one thing just a little totally different. Racing boards have a displacement-style hull to chop by the water. Lengthy-distance boards are simpler to paddle. Yoga boards have particular holders for avocados and kale shakes. The important diversifications.
Fishing SUPs are additionally specifically tailored. They’ll include seats and safe storage, in addition to rod holders and coolers. They’re often very steady, with loads of room to maneuver round as you combat your fish. That doesn’t imply that they by no means flip, however they’re rather a lot much less shaky than your common board.
What’s a Fishing Kayak?
Not like paddle boards, you may go fishing on nearly any kayak. Kayaks designed for fishing do have some actual benefits, although. They’ve a lot of storage, with rod holders, sort out containers, and even livewells. Some fishing kayaks are additionally pedal powered, preserving your fingers free to concentrate on the fish.
The 2 primary varieties of kayak are sit-on-top and sit-inside. Sit-on-top kayaks are open, supplying you with extra freedom and making it rather a lot simpler to get out and in. The large benefit with sit-inside kayaks is that they preserve your decrease half dry. They’re additionally barely sooner, as you have got much less wind resistance.
Professionals and Cons
So which is healthier? The reality is that there is no such thing as a one reply – life isn’t that easy. There are some actual benefits to every vessel. Listed below are a couple of good causes to decide on one over the opposite.
SUP Board Benefits
- Peak. Standing up allows you to sight fish higher, growing your probability of a hookup.
- Weight. Rise up boards are small and lightweight. You don’t want two folks to hold them.
- Simple to launch. No tough maneuvering, simply drop them within the water and climb aboard.
- Nice train. Utilizing your entire physique to maneuver and steadiness provides you a full exercise.
The largest plus for paddle board fishing is that you simply’re standing up. This allows you to see a lot greater than you do on a kayak. Certain, you may also rise up on plenty of kayaks, however you’re not at all times up and sighting the fish like you’re on an SUP.
An apparent benefit of a paddle board is that it’s a lot smaller. You don’t need assistance carrying it to the water and you’ll simply throw it behind your truck. On the transfer? You possibly can even get an inflatable board which is able to pack right into a suitcase.
Lastly, rise up paddle boarding is an actual exercise. The entire time you’re on the water, you’re utilizing your decrease physique to maintain the board regular whereas your higher physique powers it ahead. This offers you extra rounded train than kayaking and feels extra “pure” to many individuals.
- Cheaper. Fishing kayaks usually value rather a lot lower than specialised fishing SUPs.
- Simpler. You don’t have to be a ninja or a health nut to make use of kayaks correctly.
- Extra steady. Kayaks can deal with uneven water and don’t tip over as usually.
- Extra storage. You possibly can carry much more gear on a kayak, supplying you with extra choices.
Fishing kayaks are usually extra accessible than SUPs. They’re cheaper. They’re extra steady. They take much less observe to get the grasp of. It’s additionally a lot much less demanding to energy them and preserve them regular. Which means older anglers or individuals who don’t have nice steadiness can nonetheless take pleasure in them. Certain, they’re more durable to move by yourself, however it’s best to by no means fish solo on both vessel.
As a result of kayaks are extra steady and require much less effort, you need to use them in additional locations and circumstances. SUP fishing is mostly a no-go until it’s a relaxed day. They’re additionally very tiring to journey lengthy distances with. On a kayak, you can enterprise a lot farther with out getting worn out. You may as well fish on uneven waters with out falling in on a regular basis.
Lastly, kayaks have far more area than paddle boards. You possibly can carry extra rods, extra sort out, and extra gear with out worrying about shedding it. Some kayaks even have built-in dry storage in your telephone, automotive keys, and the rest you don’t need to get moist.
Pimp My Trip: Add-Ons for a Higher Expertise
The wonderful thing about each crafts is which you could customise them to your wants. Whether or not you need to preserve your board from drifting or simply preserve your sort out protected, there may be loads of gear on the market that can assist you get essentially the most out of your time on the water. Listed below are a couple of must-have objects for every vessel.
- Stabilizers. You possibly can add an outrigger to maintain your board regular. It additionally allows you to combat larger fish with out worry of tipping the boat.
- Seat. Some boards have a removable seat so you may relaxation your legs if you get drained. If not, strapping on a cooler additionally works.
- Drift chute. This can be a small umbrella or parachute that trails behind your board, letting you sluggish your drift as you strategy the fish.
- Rod holders. You must attempt to pack gentle when SUP fishing. However in case you can’t resist bringing two rods, add holders so that you don’t lose them.
- Kayak cart. One of many largest hurdles in kayak fishing is getting your ‘yak to the water. Collapsible carts make this a heck of rather a lot simpler.
- Stay bait tank. When you’re a fan of dwell bait fishing, putting in a livewell is a should. There are even on-line guides to be taught to make your individual.
- Built-in sort out field. A safe field allows you to deliver all of your favourite sort out and never fear about shedding it. Some even have rod holders in-built.
- Kayak touchdown web. Fish are rather a lot more durable to land if you’re sitting down. These particular nets brace your arm to present you extra power.
Paddle Board vs Kayak: Conclusions
Boards and ‘yaks each have their benefits. There’s nothing extra liberating than placing out on a board and nothing extra exhilarating than making an attempt to maintain regular whereas reeling in a monster. Kayaks are far more of a dependable all-rounder, although, and may get you locations the place a board simply isn’t protected.
On the finish of the day, it’s all the way down to your fishing fashion, bodily potential, and private choice. When you’re fishing calm waters and like a problem, SUP fishing is a ton of enjoyable. When you like bringing extra gear and don’t need to rise up all day, a kayak could possibly be higher for you. Whichever one you go for, one factor’s for certain – you’re in for lots of enjoyable!
Are you an avid ‘yaker? Do you’re keen on SUP angling (or yoga)? Are there any suggestions we missed? Tell us within the feedback beneath, we’re at all times comfortable to speak!